Friday, January 23, 2009

What I've Been Doin' and Where I'm Goin'

During my Christmas break (which in my mind should extend to the week after MLKJ day, which is why I have abandoned my blog until now), besides taking a pyramid photo shoot with my siblings...
...my parents pulled me aside to ask when I would finally start getting a real paycheck. This encounter was almost as great as last Christmas' parental intervention when my mom offered the diamonds from her old wedding ring to me...if I should propose anytime soon.

So in my pursuit to finally get a PhD and finally get a real job, I will be spending four upcoming weekends touring some of this country's best campuses. One week from now I will be in Austin, TX...2 weeks from now Dallas, TX...4 weeks from now Davis, CA...and 5 weeks from now Salt Lake City (I am counting this as a trip because I am getting a hotel room). Not only are all the trips free (I am even getting reimbursed for my gas to the airport and parking expenses), but I also have people to visit in each city. Dani in Austin, my brother and sister-in-law in Dallas, my family and friends in Davis, and...okay SLC doesn't count for this one.

And on another note, what do I wear to these things? A suit and tie? Slacks and a button up? An Affliction tee with Ed Hardy jeans? A snuggie?

9 comments:

Emily said...

1) let's stage an engagement so we can get the diamonds and split the cash
2) take me with you! far away to texas!
3) pppsshhhhhaw for real jobs. overrated.
4)i vote for the snuggie.

Michael and Natalie said...

Oh... I'm sorry you don't have anyone to visit in SLC, Steven. No loved ones, huh?

hanner said...

Duh, the Snuggie. My mother-in-law told me recently that she considered buying me a Snuggie instead of an electric blanket, and I was sad for a moment.

Umm... does this mean you'll be BACK ON GCHAT, TYPING TO ME IN ALL CAPS?

The Gilberts said...

Love the parental encounters story -- it must be a little tougher being a boy, I got married right about the time my parents would've wanted to cut the apron strings loose.
Should we assume from your decision that you still don't want the "real" paycheck and are opting to be a forever student accumulating loans? haha
Good luck with the interviews -- we don't watch TV these days but I'm proud that I know what a Snuggie is, however prefer to skip the flared sleeves and cut holes in my own blankets instead:)

The Gilberts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Gilberts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
iyouandme said...

I like Emily's plan. I can even offer you to meet my family in Austin. And don't worry. I'm working on the list of places you need to visit. Of course if you have a friend there, she can show you around. But, even better: TAKE ME TO AUSTIN WITH YOU!!

M and M said...

What? Why didn't mom offer me diamonds for Meagan's ring? Sounds like I'm probably the 4th or 5th favorite child. I guess we did get a Jetta though.

Danielle said...

Oh Stevie G! I am so excited to see you! Austin is my number one choice! And anything you wear will be great!