Saturday, May 17, 2008

Into the Wild

For the past 2 years, I have been researching the genetic diveristy of the endangered species plant Phacelia argillacea. However, to get my research published, I needed samples from this year's population to compare to the rest. So last Friday, I left my lab coat and gloves at home and threw on some old Levi's and New Balances (which I believe have seen the outside maybe twice) and went to the Spanish Fork Canyon (the only place in the world where you can find this plant).

We ran into two major problems while trying to find these little guys:
1. This plant grows only on the steep shale cliffs, so getting to the populations was a little difficult. Yes, I had to hike up cliffs like this:
2. This plant definitely deserves the "Endangered Species" title. Research shows there are only about 30 of these plants left. We spent hours climbing up and down cliffs trying to find these small plants.

In the end, we were able to find enough to continue the study and hopefully work towards reintroducing the plant in the future. I even scored a picture with the my plant. (Note: my shirt has a picture of a milkman and reads, "Who's Your Daddy?....I can find out....BYU Genetics)

The downside was that since I am actually allegric to plants and nature, I then spent the rest of the weekend in bed with a horrible sinus infection. Well, except for trips to El Azteca, Blockbuster, Einstein's, Target, The Dollar Theater, and Cracker Barrell. What?? I'm not an invalid.

4 comments:

meggan said...

I wouldn't have believed this unless I saw a picture. Way to out-geek yourself with the sinus infection...

Shannon said...

I believe you are becoming an endangered species...

Lisa Maria said...

that is a GREAT shirt.

Liliya said...

i added you to the list of blogs on my blog. congratulations!